History of Moscow Agricultural Academy named after K.A.Timiryazev (Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural Academy)
The Russian State Agrarian University – MTAA is the oldest higher-education institution of agriculture in Russia. It was founded on December 3, 1865 by government decree to establish the Petrovskaya Academy of Agriculture and Forestry.
The year 1917 marked the beginning of a new period in the history of the Academy. In this year, the former name, Petrovskaya Agricultural Academy, was restored, the Charter and the structure of the academy were revised and updated, and new curricula and study programs were developed.
On February 20, 1940, by the Decree of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Lenin Order was conferred on the Academy for its great contribution to the development of agriculture. The same year, the Soviet of People’s Commissars of the USSR declared the territory of the Academy protected by law.
During the first days of the Great Patriotic War, more than 500 faculty members, research scientists and students joined the war effort as members of the emergency volunteer corps and other military units that were later integrated into the Red Army. About 1300 students and faculty members took part in the anti-aircraft defense of Moscow. More than 1000 students went to state and collective farms to substitute for mechanics and tractor-drivers who had gone to the front.
Academics never ceased during the war years, although the Academy was temporarily moved to the city of Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Operation resumed in Moscow in 1943. Despite the difficulties presented by the war, the Academy graduated more that 1250 agronomists, zoo engineers, and economists, approximately 200 teachers of agriculture, as well as 150 scientists. Ten new crop varieties were developed during that time.
In the post-war period, scientists of the Academy took active part in the development of virgin and long-fallow lands. Over nine million hectares of land were inspected, and 232 soil maps and cartograms were drawn up and passed to agricultural agencies.
The Academy's work was greatly appreciated. In 1979, the Medal “In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the development of virgin and long-fallow lands” was conferred on the Academy. The Medal “For the development of virgin lands” was conferred on eleven students of the Timiryazev Academy. The first Prize named after the academician V.R. Williams was conferred on fifteen scientists for their research work on the virgin lands.
On December 3, 1965, on the occasion of its 100th anniversary, the Academy was awarded with the Order of the Red Labor Banner for its successful work in training highly qualified agricultural specialists and for developments in agricultural science.
Per Order 454 of the Federal agency of agriculture and higher professional education, on June 20, 2005 Moscow Agricultural Academy named after K.A.Timiryazev was renamed the Federal State Educational Establishment “Russian State Agrarian University – MTAA named after K.A.Timiryazev (Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural Academy)” (RSAU-MTAA).
For the last 30 years, 35000 agronomists, economists, agrochemists, specialists in soil science, in fruit and vegetable growing, and in animal science, as well as over 7000 teachers for junior colleges and colleges have graduated from the University. Over 2700 Doctoral dissertations (for degrees of Doctor of Science and Candidate of Science) have been defended successfully. In addition, thousands of foreign students from European countries, Asia, Africa and America have graduated from the University.